ASSESSMENT OF MEDICATION ADHERENCE AMONG HYPERTENSIVE PATIENTS IN ALHUSSEIN HOSPITAL/ RMS USING HILL BONE MEDICATION ADHERENCE SCALE HB-MAS
*Jelnar Alkalaldeh, Nada Alazab, Niveen elyan and Reham Mrayat
In Arab countries around 30% of adults were approximately had hypertension, a study performed in jordan by Alefan et al revealed that nearly 95% has an awareness on hypertension but 77% of patients were non compliant with a healthy lifestyle, Hill bone medication adherence scale HB_MAS instrument is used frequently to do adherence measurements . A study performed using the Korean version of HBMAS revealed that it could be used easily to screen patients adherence on medications. In Jordan a study performed in 2018 found that although one third of Jordanian adults had hypertension, significant increase in the awareness toward hypertension among Jordanian men and women was observed. This quantitative study was conducted in Jordan, at royal medical service in Alhussein hospital. And it's divided into two phases due to corona crises; Demographical data of patients was evaluated and included the following criteria: sex, age, education, income status, marital status and employment. A total of 200 patients were identified, most of them were females (63%), and the rest were males (37%). Majority of patients were with the age above 50 years (60.7%), those with 40-49 years were (26.4%) and 12.9% with the age of 30-39 years. Keeping attention to last question (How often do you miss taking your high blood pressure pills when you are careless?) 72.8 % of our patient answered none of the time and 26.5% answered some of the time. This question may give us a hint that’s our patients have somehow enough awareness and knowledge toward their medication adherence. Future studies should be performed to further investigate the reason behind non adherent behaviors and to find the required answers. Many intervention should be implemented to increase adherence to antihypertensive medications among Jordanian patients.
[Full Text Article]