A COMPARISON OF NEONATAL THYROID PARAMETERS OF CORD BLOOD AND NEWBORN VENOUS BLOOD AMONGST NEW-BORNS OF AVMC
Dr. Murali Krishna*, Dr. Rengaswamy, Dr. Nalini and Dr. Raghupathy
Background: Hypothyroidism may be congenital or may be acquired which might or may not have a delayed onset. Incomplete thyroid development and decreased thyroid hormone biosynthesis is a result of congenital hypothyroidism. Screening is usually missed in areas where testing is not done and is the reason for new cases of hypothyroid cases. India has a higher incidence of neonatal hypothyroidism. Aim: To evaluate whether cord blood can be used as a primary thyroid screening tool. Method: The study was taken up in the department of pediatrics of a tertiary teaching hospital. A total of 200 babies were taken for the study during the whole study period. The cord blood at the time of delivery and 48-hour serum blood was collected and sent to the lab for thyroid profile estimation. Results: The study consisted of 106 males and 94 female infants. Among the 200 subjects, 167 were term babies and 33 were preterm. The mode of delivery was 77.5% had lower segment cesarean section and the remaining 22.5% were normal deliveries. The mean birth weight was 2.810 kgs. The mean TSH 6.99±4.81, the mean T3 level was 80.43±39.06 and the meanT4 level among the subjects was 10.90±4.59. The systemic venous blood was collected after 48 hours for thyroid profiling. The mean TSH was 4.65±4.03, the mean T3 level was 114.205±38.27 and the mean T4 level among the subjects was 13.89±5.60. On comparison of cord blood, TSH and systemic venous blood TSH association were noted which was statistically significant. Association was between cord blood T3 and 48-hour venous blood was present and statistically significant. Cord blood for T4 and venous blood for T4 association was seen and statistically significance present. Conclusion: from the present study, it can be suggested cord blood can be used as a marker for thyroid screening tool.
Keywords: Cord blood, Systemic Venous blood, TSH, T3, and T4.
[Full Text Article]