THE OUTCOME OF THE TREATMENT OF PROXIMAL HUMERAL FRACTURES FIXED BY LOCKING PROXIMAL HUMERAL PLATE (LPHP)
Dr. A. K. M. Harun-Ar-Rashid*, Dr. Abdur Rahman, Dr. Mohammad Shaha Alam, Dr. Ayesha Begum, Dr. A. H. M. Azgar Ali Chowdhury and Dr. A.T. M. Rezaul Karim
Objective: In this study our main aim is to assess the outcome of the treatment of proximal humeral fractures fixed by Locking Proximal Humeral Plate (LPHP). Method: This prospective observational study was carried out at Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chittagong Medical College Hospital, Chittagong. All the 30 patients are above 18 years of age and was admitted in different units of Orthopaedic ward of CMCH with displaced fractures of the proximal humerus of both sexes. Results: During the study, 80 percent cases locking proximal humeral plate was fixed within 3 weeks of occurrence of fracture while in the rest (20%) of cases, fixation was done after 3 weeks of the fracture. The mean interval between injury and plate fixation was 18 days and the minimum and maximum intervals were 2 and 36 days respectively. Vast majority (76.66 %) of injury were caused by low velocity injury i,e; due to simple fall and 7(23.33%) was of high velocity trauma i ,e ; road traffic accident and fall from height. During the course of the study 8(26.66%) patients developed superficial infection, 2(6.7%) patients developed delayed union, 4(13.3%) patients subacromial impringement. loosening of head screw, perforation of the head by screw was seen in 1(6.7%) patients each. The outcome of the patients was graded according to constant score criteria as good (>70) in 14(46.6%) patients, Fair (56-70) in 11 (36.66%) patients and poor (0-55) in 5(16.66%). Conclusion: Locking Proximal Humeral Plate (LPHP) in the treatment of unstable proximal humeral fracture minimizes the hospital stay and reduces the economic burden and enhances early return to work. So, it is an excellent method of proximal humeral fracture fixation in a developing country like Bangladesh.
Keywords: Proximal humeral fractures, locking proximal humeral plate (LPHP), plate fixation.
[Full Text Article]