KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICES AMONG POST GRADUATE STUDENTS AND INTERNS ON PREPAREDNESS OF MEDICAL EMERGENCIES IN DENTAL COLLEGES IN PATNA CITY – A CROSS SECTIONAL STUDY
Dr. Anaba Asif*, Dr. Sadananda L. D., Dr. Veeranna Ramesh and Dr. Suma B.S.
An emergency is a medical condition that demands immediate attention and successful management. Medical emergencies can frequently happen in dental settings and inability to cope with them can lead to tragic outcomes. There are some factors that can increase the risk of medical emergencies in dental settings. One is the increased longevity of population leading to medical conditions which predispose them to medical emergencies. Another is the increased propensity to prescribe medication in dentistry and scientific improvements in dentistry for treating medically compromised patients. The doctors should be aware of the life threatening situations so that needless morbidity can be avoided. Aim: The aim of the study was to assess the knowledge, attitude and practices among interns and post graduate students on preparedness of medical emergencies in Patna city. Methodology: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted among total 140 post graduate students and interns on preparedness of medical emergencies in dental colleges in Patna City. Simple random sampling was done. A close-ended structured questionnaire was used for data collection. Data were collected, compiled & tabulated using Microsoft excel and analyzed by Chi-square test with p < 0.05 as significant. Results: Out of 140 subjects, 61.4% were post graduate students and the rest 38.6% were interns. Overall majority of 99.9% were aware of the knowledge regarding diagnosis of medical emergencies. Attitude regarding importance of obtaining vital signs of the patients before commencing any treatment among post graduate students and interns, similar results were found (100%). Among post graduate students 52.3% gave positive response and among interns 90.7% gave positive response regarding whether they attend any workshop on emergency training or management programs. 85.7% were aware of the knowledge how to perform cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Conclusion: The best way to handle an emergency is to be prepared in advance. Dentists, being members of the healthcare profession, should be prepared to deal with medical emergencies, which may arise at their workplace. Awareness of basic life support and knowledge regarding patient cited with airway obstruction during dental treatment among interns and post graduate students needs improvisation.
Keywords: Medical Emergencies, Preparedness, Post Graduate Students and Interns.
[Full Text Article]