PREVALENCE AND PRESCRIBING PATTERN IN ORTHOPAEDIC DEPARTMENT AT A RURAL HOSPITAL SET UP - A PROSPECTIVE OBSERVATIONAL STUDY
Dr. P. Kishore*, K. Prathyusha and Dr. K. Ramesh
Aim: To study the prescribing patterns and prevalence of disorders in Orthopaedic department at a rural set up. Methodology: A prospective observational study was conducted in the outpatient department of Orthopedics in Nizamabad. This study was conducted for a month from May 1st to May 31st. Patients who are willing to participate in the study; falling between the age group 1-90yrs were considered. Total 501 prescriptions were collected from the patients and analyzed. Results: In the study population, 234 [46.7%] were male and 267 [53.3%] were female. In our study we found that 194 patients were suffering with major types of arthritis like osteoarthritis, polyarthralgia and rheumatoid arthritis. The commonly prescribed drugs are calcium supplements/multivitamins [28.3%]; analgesics [26.2%], proton pump inhibitors [20.2%], NSAID’s [26.2%], antibiotics [5.3%] and corticosteroids [2.9%]. Other drugs like DMARD’s [1.6%], anxiolytic agents [0.2%], sedatives [2.1%] and enzymes like glucosamine, trypsin [3%] etc., were also prescribed in our study patients. Conclusion: Female patients were predominant in the study. Of all age groups, 40-90yrs patients were mostly suffering from arthritis. Of all NSAIDs, we found aceclofenac & paracetamol combination drugs are most preferred in treating osteoarthritis. For the treatment of osteoarthritis, topical and parenteral analgesics are preferred over symptomatic slow-acting drugs. Physiotherapy plays a major role in orthopaedic department, about 60% of the disorder is treated with drugs and remaining 40% are treated with physiotherapy. For manageable cases instead of using NSAIDs, physiotherapy, cold and heat therapy, aroma therapy and oil massage can be used to relieve pain.
Keywords: Orthopedics, OA-Osteoarthritis, Analgesics, Anxiolytics.
[Full Text Article]